“Katie’s Trunk” Segment 1 Questions
1. On page 294, what does Katie’s mama mean when she says “like to sit her down to sew long seams all day and get the goodness straight inside”?
2. Reread pages 294-296. How has Katie’s community changed? Give examples.
3. (Page 296) How did Katie feel about being called a “Tory”? How do you know?
4. (Page 297) Why does Katie rush out of her hiding place?
5. (Page 295) The author says that mama “shut her lips on the words.” What do you think this means and why do you think mama does this?