1. Reread pages 604 and 605. The author used the word “harsh” to describe Alaska’s winter. What evidence from the text supports this idea?
2. How and why does the author compare mother bears and human mothers? (P. 605)
3. According to the text, what are “sedges” and why are they so important to grizzly bears? (P. 606)
4. Reread page 608. How would you describe the summers in Alaska?
5. Explain how the bears’ interactions with each other change during the salmon season using examples from the text. (P 609-611)